Mould, The Hidden health risk.

Everyone knows about black mould and how scary it is. When it grows on the outside of your drywall it is easy to see and somewhat easy to get rid of depending on how much mould there is. However, do you know how much possible mould there is growing inside your walls?

Moisture problems in homes may result from:

  • daily activities such as showering or bathing, washing clothes or cooking, if exhaust fans are not working properly or are not used;
  • infiltration of water from the outside when there are cracks or leaks in the foundation, floor, walls or roof;
  • plumbing leaks;
  • moisture condensation on cold surfaces;
  • flooding due to weather conditions (snowmelt, storm surges, prolonged or heavy rainfall);
  • inadequate ventilation.

Moisture indoors accumulates when it cannot be vented outside and becomes a problem when building materials become damp or wet. Now, most of these you may be able to notice and maybe fix the problem without calling me. However, when we are dealing with hidden moisture condensation that is where I can help. I can not see the mould spores unless it is a really big colony, but usually, by the time I can see the mould growth behind your walls, it will have migrated through the drywall and you will be able to spot it all on your own.

Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air, as we were all taught in grade school science. If our homes are properly insulated and the vapour barrier is intact there is no issue. However, renovations, window replacements and other factors can damage the vapour barrier. When the vapour barrier is damaged the cold outside air can migrate inside your home and contact the warm moist air that we are all trying to achieve inside our homes. Now, as we learned in school the moisture starts dropping out of the air in the form of condensation. A lot of the time the moisture does not make it into the house or the moisture condenses on the studs between the walls. As long as it stays between the wall sheeting it is no problem right? Wrong, the mould spores are small enough to be carried on air currents that are too small to feel. So, they can come into your living area through a crack in the drywall and cause major health concerns for you and your loved ones.

Studies have shown that mould spores can cause asthma-related symptoms, and trigger allergic reactions. I am pretty sure that you don’t want your family to suffer needlessly.

If you suspect mould or even just a moisture problem, I may be able to help you find the issue before it becomes a major health concern. I can also help after renovations to help keep your contractors honest. Feel free to get a hold of me and we can discuss your situation and see if I can help you keep your family safer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *